Blogger Templates
This blog has been retired. I won't respond to any inquiries but have retained it in case it is still of interest to anyone passing by.

Monday, October 29, 2012

Witches, Wizards - It's Halloween!


Its almost Halloween!

Ida Rentoul Outhwaite


THE GHOST OF A FLOWER
"You're what?" asked the common or garden spook
Of a stranger at midnight's hour.
 And the shade replied with a graceful glide,
 "Why, I'm the ghost of a flower."

"The ghost of a flower?" said the old-time spook;
"That's a brand-new one on me;
I never supposed a flower had a ghost,
Though I've seen the shade of a tree."

-Anonymous

Found on  Vintage Halloween Poetry

These are the three illustrations I kept for Halloween when I posted the lovely work of Ida Rentoul Outhwaite recently.  I've already given a sneak preview of the first one as she is my latest 'about' picture.  She is such a dainty, pretty witch, poised for take-off and I love the toadstools on the ground.

But I think this next picture is my favourite.  It is so unusual.  I like the muted colours and I think she has the most beautiful face and expression. 



My son has decided he has passed the age of dressing up and and venturing out for trick or treat loot.  (He'll be handing the sweets out this time instead!)  My favourite costume from years gone by was this Harry Potter get-up that he wore on two occasions.  First time round he was 6 or 7.  He looked so cute marching around the misty village of quaint old cottages where we were living at the time.  Then when he was 10 he wore it again. Same gown but look how much he had grown!







Happy Halloween Everyone!



8 comments:

Kylie said...

Such a cute little 'Harry Potter' you've got there Sharon. Ida's illustrations are gorgeous, I've always loved them. My daughter loves your wand cursor btw. Cute.
(my contribution to Halloween is popping off to the shops to buy lollies)

CraveCute said...

Your son is so cute in his 'Potter' costume, what a handsome young man! Love the vintage images, those are both wonderful. The girl on the bat is as you said, so unusual. It is my favorite also. Thank you Sharon, have a fun Halloween! ~Diane

Barbara said...

The illustrations were certainly worth waiting for and what lovely words. It looks as though your son had a lot of fun as Harry Potter – oh to be that age again!

Thank you for leaving such a fantastic comment on my blog. It would make a great story, and I can’t think of anyone more qualified to write it than you.

Happy Halloween.

Darlene Foster said...

I love the Harry Potter costume. He looks greta in it at both ages. I love when you can reuse a costume. I am sure he will enjoy handing out the treats this year.

DMS said...

Happy Halloween! I love your son's costume for those two years. But- I am partial to anything HP. Amazing how much he grew between wears!

Loved the Halloween art. I especially loved the thirs one because of the colors and details. Thanks for sharing!
~Jess

Tazas y Cuentos said...

Hello Sharon! These illustrations are great! They are so delicate...I love them.
Congratulations to Harry Potter, so cute!
Happy Halloween!
Silvina
BTW, I love the wand.

Donna Heber said...

Hi Sharon,

I hope you had a spooky Halloween! Your son looks adorable in his Harry Potter costume. Glad you were able to get two uses out of it because they do grow so fast!

Unknown said...

I so love that poem. How sweet! Those pics are great, and your son as Harry Potter - loved 'em. I really enjoyed this post.

Link/within

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...